We are back after celebrating our national festival Onam. This edition is a bit bigger and we also interviewed Winstina Hughes.
We got a glimpse into the all-new features that will come with WordPress 6.4 and the timeline for the release parties is now live. There will also be a new default theme that will launch with the upcoming WordPress 6.4 version.
There are several proposals that are waiting for feedback from the community and WordPress.com has introduced a new 100-year plan.
You can also subscribe and listen to the podcast version of this newsletter on Amazon Music, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Podcasts.
Until next week,
📰 WORDPRESS & AROUND
All the updates around WordPress and its closely related technologies
- The future of WordPress & what’s next for Gutenberg: WordPress co-founder Matt Mullenweg and Executive Director Josepha Haden Chomphosy discuss the roadmap for the future of WordPress and Gutenberg.
- I love WordCamps!: Matt Mullenweg talks about his love for WordCamps and how the name came into origin.
- 6.4 Release parties schedule and hosts: The post aims to prepare a calendar with the time and people involved in the release parties associated with the upcoming WordPress 6.4 release.
- WordPress 6.3.1 maintenance release: This is a minor release that provides several bug fixes.
- WordPress is now beta-compatible with PHP 8.3: WordPress core team member, Juliette Reinders Folmer has announced via Twitter that WordPress is now beta-compatible with PHP 8.3.
- Introducing Twenty Twenty-Four: An early glimpse into the upcoming new default theme that will ship out with WordPress 6.4 in November.
- What’s new in Gutenberg 16.5?: The latest update introduces enhancements to the Command Palette, additional block supports for multiple blocks, and several bug fixes.
- What’s new for navigation in WordPress 6.2 and 6.3: The post summarizes the changes and additions made to the Navigation block and also the wider navigation management system within WordPress.
- Proposal: An update to the Field Guide: The proposal has two main parts and is now open to community feedback till September 15, 2023.
- Proposal for updated support guidelines: The post summarizes the need for updating the existing support guidelines and has also shared the document that houses the new guidelines proposal.
- Call for ideas: new features for our NexGen WP events central page: The post is a call for ideas to find the most useful and desirable features for a future homepage that would host a list of all Next Gen WordPress events.
- The NextGen Event Project: Your ideas, your WordPress community!: The post summarizes the creative concepts and ideas that are ready to be implemented in the near future.
- Introducing the WordPress.org GitHub invite tool: A new tool has been added to make.wordpress.org that allows administrators of the make site with /wp-admin/ access to invite members to the GitHub organization and their respective teams.
- Looking for feedback: Learning pathway outlines: Community feedback is needed for the various outlines that have been drafted for learning pathways intended for Users, Designers, and Developers.
- FSE program let’s start from the beginning summary: The post summarizes the outcome of the FSE Program Testing Call #25: Let’s start from the beginning.
- Design Share: Aug 14-Aug 25: The design team has shared an update on a few projects they have worked on over the past couple of weeks.
- Introducing the 100-year plan: Secure your online legacy for a century: The new 100-year plan from WordPress.com as the name suggests offers century-long domain registration along with other features for a price tag of $38,000.
- WordPress VIP powers NASA’s flagship websites: NASA’s new website makes use of the enterprise-grade, FedRAMP-authorized platform.
- Introducing Code Llama, an AI Tool for Coding: Code Llama, a large language model (LLM) that can use text prompts to generate and discuss code has been launched. It’s free for research and commercial use.
- Identifying AI-generated images with SynthID: Google has introduced the beta version of SynthID, a tool for watermarking and identifying AI-generated images.
🚨WEB SECURITY & VULNERABILITIES
A collection of web security and vulnerability news and updates for the past week
- Critical vulnerabilities patched in Jupiter X Core plugin: The two vulnerabilities namely an unauthenticated arbitrary file upload and an unauthenticated account takeover were recently patched. All users are advised to update to the latest version immediately.
- Pre-auth access token manipulation in All-in-One WP Migration extensions: All users are advised to update to the latest version.
- Critical arbitrary file upload patched in Forminator plugin: An unauthenticated arbitrary file upload vulnerability was patched recently. The vulnerability was fixed in version 1.25.0.
- The WordPress “zombie” plugins pandemic affects 1.6M+ websites: As per the article, there are 404 vulnerabilities on Patchstack’s database that were disclosed, but not patched.
- Wordfence Intelligence Weekly WordPress Vulnerability Report (August 21, 2023 to August 27, 2023): 43 vulnerabilities were disclosed in 38 WordPress plugins.
- WordPress vulnerability & patch roundup August 2023: Monthly report from Sucuri.
- WordPress Vulnerability Report – August 30, 2023: Regular report from iThemes
🔌 NEW PLUGINS & THEMES
Be one of the first ones to explore some fresh plugins and themes
- Skunk theme: A multipurpose block theme.
- Walker news template theme: A block theme with 20+ free patterns and 10 global style variations.
- Performant translations plugin: The plugin allows internationalization/localization in WordPress faster than ever before.
- Wipsum plugin: The plugin allows users to generate dummy text with only one click.
INVESTMENTS, ACQUISITIONS & PARTNERSHIPS
- Joost and Marieke join Post Status: Joost de Valk and Marieke van de Rakt have joined Post Status as equity partners.
👥 COMMUNITY NEWS
Updates and News from WordPress Community
- WP Remote Work: A new WordPress job hub created by Riza Maulana with the goal of helping job seekers find remote work in the WordPress ecosystem quickly.
- Sticky FM podcast: Lesley Sim the co-founder of the Newsletter Glue plugin has launched a new podcast that focuses on how to monetize, grow, and run newsletters.
- Organic Themes launches apparel store to raise money for the Maui Strong Fund: The company recently created the Kokua Lahaina website and apparel products as a way to give back to their community.
- Admin and Site Enhancements (ASE) plugin reached 10k active installations: This plugin helps you to easily enhance various admin workflows and site aspects while replacing multiple plugins doing it.
- Announcing Jotform Donation Apps: A versatile and comprehensive mobile app solution, Donation Apps makes it easy for anyone to collect donations with a mobile app, no matter their industry or cause.
- Boost your SEO with AI: Now available in Yoast SEO 21.0: The latest version introduces several new AI features to speed up the workflow.
- WordPress for enterprise: Insider insights for big brands and publishers: The guide involves a series of insights and opinions from the Big Bite team and industry colleagues at 10up, Alley, Human Made, Inpsyde, and XWP, the guide also features additional contributions from Google and WordPress VIP.
- Review Signal publishes 2023 WordPress and WooCommerce hosting performance benchmarks: In 2023, Ohashi tested 31 companies across 72 plans and seven pricing tiers, with tests nearly identical to previous years.
- TeamWP reveals groundbreaking insights from the Team Experience Index Survey: The results of the first Team Experience Index survey are now out.
- Introducing CSScrafter: A new project launched by Gobinda Tarafdar. This is a CSS library and provides users with premade CSS-styled blocks that can be used freely.
- CSS Loaders: A project created by Temani Afif that offers over 500+ CSS-only loaders made using a single element.
- Sarah Gooding completes 10 years at WPTavern: Congrats Sarah and thank you so much for keeping us updated with WordPress news.
INTERESTING READS & PODCASTS
More blog posts and podcasts from WordPress Community you don’t want to miss
- Tumblr CEO Matt Mullenweg on open-sourcing social media: How to be a CEO podcast: From Evening Standard
- Plugins: Always Get a Contract: From Half-Elf on Tech
- WCUS 2023 Takeaways by Members: From Post Status
- WordPress Gutenberg versus Page Builders – The Kevin Geary interview: From Jamie Marsland
- The ending that CSS-tricks didn’t deserve: From Stack Diary
- Jo Minney on the state of the WordPress community in Australia: From WP Tavern Jukebox
- Michelle Frechette: From an active volunteer to a diversity advocate: From Hostinger
- AI in CMS: A WordPress plugin & the future of content workflows with Joe Hoyle: From WPAI
- Why WordPress gets hacked: From Sucuri
- Designing for success: UX principles for WordPress products: From WP Product Talk
- All about the Page Builder Summit with Anchen and Nathan: From Do the Woo
- WordCamp US 2023 recap: From GoDaddy
- My 5 biggest frustrations with WordPress: From Astra
- SEO copywriting checklist: 8 things to check before publishing: From Yoast
- What makes a good website?: From Yoast
- Turn your WordPress passion into a career: From The WP Minute
- The future of WordPress: Exciting trends and updates to look forward to in 2024: From Pagely
- Asia Pacific businesses do not believe they are fully prepared as cybersecurity Incidents continue to rise: From Cloudflare
- The 15 best django packages for your application: From Kinsta
🛠 GUIDE ZONE – HOWTO’S and MORE
Handpicked fresh guides from WordPress circle
- An introduction to block variations: From WordPress Developer Blog
- Exploring the future of web development with WebAssembly and PHP: From WordPress Developer Blog
- Adding and using custom settings in theme.json: From WordPress Developer Blog
- Embedding media and third-party content on your website: From Learn WordPress
- Common APIs – Dashboard Widgets: From Learn WordPress
- Common WordPress APIs: Metadata API: From WordPress TV
- Developer Hours: Introduction to the HTML API: From WordPress TV
- How to build responsive designs in the WordPress editor by extending the core columns block: From Full Stack Digital
- Catching Up on CSS Features: From Delicious Brains
- Easy custom blocks using InnerBlocks in Gutenberg: From Brian Coords
- How to quickly find & fix mixed content issues (SSL/HTTPS): From Sucuri
- How to build WordPress block templates: From Kinsta
- Everything you need to know about Dockerfile ENTRYPOINT: From Kinsta
- How to change the logo in WordPress: From RankMath
- Essential WordPress block theme features for web designers: From Speckyboy
📆 SAVE THE DATES
Do not miss a WordPress event ever again
- WordCamp Kathmandu on September 8-9, 2023: Call for sponsors is now open.
- WordCamp Malaysia 2023 on Sep 9, 2023: Call for speakers and sponsors is now open.
- WordCamp Rochester on September 30, 2023: Call for speakers and sponsors is now open.
- WordCamp Masaka on October 6-7, 2023: Tickets are available now.
- WordCamp Deutschland 2023 on Oct 19-21, 2023: Call for speakers is now open.
- WordCamp Montreal on November 8-9, 2023: Call for speakers is now open.
- WordCamp Asia on March 7-9, 2024: Call for speakers and volunteers is now open.
🎁 WORDPRESS DEALS OF THE WEEK
Just the best deals of the week, again, handpicked by yours truly!
- 4 Months free offer on hosting plans of WP Engine (Coupon Code- FREEDOMTOCREATE)
- 15% off yearly plans at Videvo (Coupon Code – WPV15)
- 10% off on Crazydomains WooCommerce online store (Coupon Code- BUILDURSTORE)
- Up to 50% off on plugins & PHP scripts at CodeCanyon
- Up to 40% off for CartFlows
- Up to 75% off on plugins, themes and hosting at WP Hive
- 50% off Web Hosting Packages at StableHost (Coupon Code – 50OFFYEAR1)
- 80% off for plugins at WPPool
- Up to 75% off hosting plans at HostPapa
- 50% off for Advanced Giftcards for WooCommerce plugin
- 55% off for Annual Hosting plans at Nexcess
- 85% off at AtlasVPN
- 30% off for Fluent Forms plugin
- 50% off at Formidable Forms
- 20% off for FluentCRM plugin
- 50% off for WP Social Ninja plugin
- Upto 95% off for PitchGround products
- Upto 65% off WordPress Hosting plans at InMotion Hosting
- 73% off hosting plans at SiteGround
- 60% off at Hostgator India
- Up to 85% off on VPS plans at Liquid Web (Coupon Code – SUMMER85VPS)
- 50% off on Managed Dedicated Server Hosting at Liquid Web
Latest from WP-CONTENT.CO
Built with Newsletter Glue.