The much-anticipated font library expected to come out with WordPress 6.4 is now available for testing. WordPress.com has launched a new learning hub. Also, Media Temple has been retired with all of its customers being migrated to GoDaddy.
You can also subscribe and listen to the podcast version of this newsletter on Amazon Music, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Podcasts.
Until next week,
📰 WORDPRESS & AROUND
All the updates around WordPress and its closely related technologies
- Evolving the FSE Outreach Program: The proposal provides a detailed outline of the steps to evolve the FSE Outreach Program and why there is a need to do so.
- Font Library is open to testing: The all-new font library that is expected to come with WordPress 6.4 is now up for testing. Interested users can follow the instructions on GitHub and either test it out on a local environment or use the WordPress Playground.
- Call for testing: Performant Translations: The testing seeks to find out the improvements the Performant Translations plugin brings forth. The users are urged to provide feedback so that the Performance Team can make the needed improvements.
- A proposal from Jason Coleman to bring back the active install growth chart: Jason Coleman has shared a draft proposal that addresses the issue surrounding the removal of the growth chart and why it needs to be implemented.
- What’s new for developers? (September 2023): Justin Tadlock provides an update on all the changes that have landed in the WordPress trunk and the Gutenberg plugin over the last month.
- Resource and Handbook updates in Q3: The post outlines all the updates made to the Community Supporter and Manager Handbook so far.
- A new learning hub from WordPress: WordPress.com has launched a new learning hub which will include free courses, webinars, and step-by-step tutorials.
- Media Temple has been fully retired: After 24 years of being in the business, Media Temple which offered web hosting and cloud hosting services is no more. GoDaddy acquired Media Temple way back in 2013 and all customers of Media Temple have been fully migrated to GoDaddy.
🚨WEB SECURITY & VULNERABILITIES
A collection of web security and vulnerability news and updates for the past week
- Unauthenticated PHP Object Injection in Flatsome Theme: The vulnerability was patched in version 3.17.6 and all users should update to the latest version immediately.
- Over 100,000 WordPress websites affected by XSS and SQLi vulnerabilities in Slimstat Analytics plugin: All users should update to the latest version version to patch the vulnerabilities.
- Bogus URL shorteners go mobile-only in AdSense fraud campaign: Sucuri provides a detailed report on a malware campaign that they have been tracking for some time.
- Wordfence Intelligence Weekly WordPress Vulnerability Report (August 28, 2023 to September 3, 2023): 64 vulnerabilities were disclosed in 61 WordPress Plugins and 2 WordPress themes.
🔌 NEW PLUGINS & THEMES
Be one of the first ones to explore some fresh plugins and themes
- GoTrip theme: A block theme designed for travel enthusiasts.
- Titan news blog theme: A new suitable for news websites with eleven style variations.
- OmniForm plugin: The plugin that allows users to create and manage forms within your WordPress site.
- MigrateStore plugin: The plugin allows users to transfer settings from an existing store to a new one.
INVESTMENTS, ACQUISITIONS & PARTNERSHIPS
- 10up joins forces with Fueled Digital Media: 10up has announced that it is merging with Fueled Digital Media. The merger is backed with investment from Insignia Capital.
- Newspack nets $5 million as part of Knight Foundation investment in local news: Newspack will receive $5 million to onboard and support hundreds of small and mid-sized news publishers on the platform.
👥 COMMUNITY NEWS
Updates and News from WordPress Community
- Introducing WP Foodies: Jeff Chandler has announced via X a new project called WP Foodies, which focuses on a community that loves WordPress and food.
- Yoast SEO 21.1 released: The latest updates mainly improve the generative AI feature that was introduced in the previous release and also includes various other fixes.
- New Demo Mode from MainWP: MainWP has introduced “Demo Mode”, enabling new users to experience MainWP firsthand with sample data and guided tours and there is no need to connect sites to see how things work.
- Introducing PlayHT2.0: PlayHT2.0 is an all-new conversational text-to-voice AI model that’s trained and built to generate humanlike conversations across languages. The sign-up for beta access is now live. Some of the key features include voice cloning, direct voices emotion, and so on.
- Monster’s Award 2023: It’s time to vote for the best web tools. The deadline is on December 11.
- ACF Annual Survey 2023 Results are out: The survey saw participation from 2031 people and 70% of them use ACF on all their WordPress websites. Out of the participants, 81% were developers.
- WP BUILDERS FIGHT CLUB Round 1 results out: WP Builders Fight Club is a community-driven project for page builders and website builders to compete. The results are mostly impressive with Page Builders like WPBakery scoring 99/100 in GTmetrix and 96/100 in Page Speed Insights.
- Speaker Workshop for Indian Women in the WordPress Community (Sept 23-24): A two-day online workshop organized by the Diverse Speaker Training Group (#WPDiversity) for women in India (other countries are also welcome to join) who are thinking about speaking at a WordPress Meetup or WordCamp.
- OpenAI has announced its first developer conference: The event will take place on November 6 in San Francisco. The registrations will open in the coming weeks.
- Festinger signing up people without their consent: Ben Gillbanks shares his experience of getting unsolicited emails from FestingerVault. It seems like FestingerVault has been scraping developer contact information from various sources and spamming people with their products. Several incidents have been reported about this clear breach of GDPR.
- The great WordPress breakup of 2023: Allie Nimmons, the co-founder of Underrepresented in Tech, is taking a break from WordPress as she’s not happy with things happening in the community.
INTERESTING READS & PODCASTS
More blog posts and podcasts from WordPress Community you don’t want to miss
- WordPress Community Summit in review: From Human Made
- Mastodon and WordPress: 8 Ways to make them work together: From Torque
- Press This: You should be using newsletters with Lesley Sim: From Torque
- What it’s like to participate in a WordPress Contributor Day: From Speckyboy
- Scott Kingsley Clark on why the time is right for the Fields API: From WP Tavern Jukebox
- Jason Cohen: On the growth and evolution of a WordPress hosting platform: From Within WordPress with Remkus
- Should your WordPress business sponsor events?: From WP Product Talk
- Choosing between WordPress custom post types and post categories: A beginners guide: From Pootlepress
- Product page SEO: 5 things to improve: From Yoast
- What are SSL certificates? How do they impact site security?: From Jetpack
🛠 GUIDE ZONE – HOWTO’S and MORE
Handpicked fresh guides from WordPress circle
- Scheduling posts and pages: From Learn WordPress
- Intro to the Site Editor: From Learn WordPress
- WordPress relationships explained: From Lana Miro
- How to fix “not secure” warnings and SSL issues in WordPress (8 Steps): From Sucuri
- How to containerize a Next.js app and deploy to Kinsta: From Kinsta
- How to test your applications with Jest: From Kinsta
- How to add a profile picture to WordPress?: From RankMath
- Structured data with Schema.org: the ultimate guide: From Yoast
- How to edit the WooCommerce confirmation page: From Iconic
- Creating a simple WordPress plugin with 6 AI chatbots: From Search Engine Journal
📆 SAVE THE DATES
Do not miss a WordPress event ever again
- WordCamp Rochester on September 30, 2023: Call for speakers and sponsors is now open.
- WordCamp Masaka on October 6-7, 2023: Tickets are available now.
- WordCamp Deutschland 2023 on Oct 19-21, 2023: Call for speakers is now open.
- WordCamp Mumbai on October 28-29: The event is in the early planning stages.
- WordCamp Montreal on November 8-9, 2023: Call for speakers is now open.
- WordCamp Manila on November 11, 2023: The call for speakers is now live.
- WordCamp Asia on March 7-9, 2024: Call for speakers, volunteers, and media partners is now open.
🎁 WORDPRESS DEALS OF THE WEEK
Just the best deals of the week, again, handpicked by yours truly!
- 4 Months free offer on hosting plans of WP Engine (Coupon Code- FREEDOMTOCREATE)
- 15% off yearly plans at Videvo (Coupon Code – WPV15)
- Up to 40% off for CartFlows
- Up to 75% off on plugins, themes and hosting at WP Hive
- 50% off Web Hosting Packages at StableHost (Coupon Code – 50OFFYEAR1)
- 80% off for plugins at WPPool
- Up to 75% off hosting plans at HostPapa
- 50% off for Advanced Giftcards for WooCommerce plugin
- 55% off for Annual Hosting plans at Nexcess
- 85% off at AtlasVPN
- 20% off for Fluent Forms plugin
- 50% off at Formidable Forms
- 20% off for FluentCRM plugin
- 50% off for WP Social Ninja plugin
- Upto 95% off for PitchGround products
- Upto 65% off WordPress Hosting plans at InMotion Hosting
- 83% off hosting plans at SiteGround
- 60% off at Hostgator India (Coupon Code – SUNSHINE)
- Up to 74% off on 24 month VPS Plans at Liquid Web
- 50% off on Managed Dedicated Server Hosting at Liquid Web
Latest from WP-CONTENT.CO
Built with Newsletter Glue.