We are back after a long weekend. Festivals are amazing and they have a magical way of recharging you.
The much-awaited WordCamp US is over and on Contributor day, Matt Mullenweg renewed the push for canonical plugins. More on that in the News section below.
See you next week.
📰 WordPress & Around
- Dropping security updates for WordPress versions 3.7 through 4.0: As of December 1, 2022 the WordPress Security Team will no longer provide security updates for WordPress versions 3.7 through 4.0.
- WebP in Core for 6.1: Matt Mullenweg thinks this change being pushed by default to users when they upgrade to 6.1 is a lot for right now. This is excellent territory for a canonical plugin – canonical because they will be the official first-choice recommendation by core and w.org for an area, that shares in the ethos and approach of WordPress itself but to a more niche area that might not be right for core.
- Canonical Plugins revisited: Matt Mullenweg on how the WordPress community should build on the successful history of canonical plugins like MP6, Gutenberg, and REST API to have more community-developed plugins. WP Tavern too has taken a look into this push for Canonical plugins
- New is_login_screen() function for determining if a page is the login screen: The
is_login_screenfunction determines if the current request is for the WordPress login screen returning
truewhen the current screen matches and
falsefor all other cases.
- Proposal: CampTix Attendee to Google Sheets integration: This would allow organizers to make a live set of data available for their needs including but not limited to on-demand badge printing.
- Proposal to officially support SQLite in WordPress: WordPress could officially support SQLite by including one of the existing SQLite implementations in Core.
- WordPress announces 10 style variation selections for Twenty Twenty-Three Theme: WordPress’ design team has announced the winners of the challenge out of the 38 submissions received from 19 contributors spanning 8 different countries. Submissions that were not chosen to ship with TT3 may still have a path towards inclusion via an official child theme of the default theme.
- WordPress.com defies marked increase in Russian takedown demands: Automattic published its bi-annual transparency report that includes information on the Russian censorship requests WordPress.com received.
- Gutenberg contributors make progress on distraction free mode: Automattic-sponsored Gutenberg contributor Andrei Draganescu reported that he is “slowly but definitely going to introduce distraction free mode,” a project he has been working on since early explorations began in February.
- Call for Testing: WordPress for iOS 20.7: To allow time for changes, please complete testing by September 14, 2022.
- YouTube experimenting with new features for Analytics Research tab: YouTube adds Watch Interest, Watch Activity and Personalized Insights to help creators identify content niches their unique audiences.
- Microsoft announced Multi-platform: It is an all-in-one feature available in Smart Campaigns that lets you run ads in Microsoft, Google, Facebook, and Instagram all through the Microsoft interface.
- Google updates its guide on preventing spam and abuse: The biggest updates include more robust suggestions to prevent abuse and identify spam accounts, instead of focusing on how to monitor for it.
- Instagram is cutting back on its shopping features: Instagram seems to be going through an identity crisis as it shifts from a photo-sharing platform to shopping, and now focusing more on video. Instagram also begins testing ‘reposts’
🚨Web Security & Vulnerabilities
- Nearly 5 million attacks blocked targeting 0-Day in BackupBuddy Plugin: This vulnerability makes it possible for unauthenticated users to download arbitrary files from the affected site which can include sensitive information. This is an actively exploited vulnerability, so ensure your site has been updated to the latest patched version 8.7.5.
- WordPress Vulnerability Report – September 7, 2022: Regular report from iThemes
- Shopify fails to prevent known breached passwords: A recent report revealed that Shopify uses particularly weak password policies on the customer-facing portion of its Website.
🔌 New Plugins & Themes
- AlertsDLX plugin: AlertsDLX offers styled alerts for the Block Editor.
- GetGenie AI plugin: It writes & SEO-optimizes your content and is available as both a SaaS platform and a WordPress plugin.
- Easy Order View plugin: It helps to manage your WooCommerce orders.
- Björk theme: Björk is the 129th block theme to hit the directory and Norén’s 25th free WordPress theme.
💵Investments, Acquisitions & Partnerships
- Yahoo acquires The Factual: Yahoo has announced a deal to purchase The Factual, a news rating company that scores media bias and credibility. The Factual has just eight employees, all of whom will join Yahoo news.
- The Strive Calender plugin acquired by Francisco Opazo: Francisco is a WordPress geek and the founder of the first online community for WooCommerce Professionals and Freelancers, WooLauncher.
- GridPane takes strategic investment from Automattic: In addition to this investment, GridPane and Automattic will partner to bring an all-new, state-of-art, fully managed WordPress Hosting solution to market.
- Atarim raises first funding round: The funding was led by Joost de Valk and Marieke van de Rakt, the founders of Yoast SEO and supported by Devin Walker, co-founder of GiveWP, Andrew Palmer, co-founder of Bertha.ai and ex Elegant Marketplace and an angels group led by Matt Russell, former co-founder of Hosting/EasyWP at Namecheap.
👥 Community News
- Bluehost unveils easy WordPress Ecommerce solution: Bluehost announced a new point and click solution that makes it easy for virtually anyone to create an eCommerce store with WordPress.
- Jetpack 11.3 is out: It has a new Payment Buttons block to add multiple inline payment buttons, support for Do Not Track headers in our Google Analytics feature and gallery block and carousel improvements.
- The Events Calendar 6.0 is out: Some of the improvements include enhanced performance, better event data storage, and a new system to manage events including a new post-type called “Series.”
- Americaneagle.com earns WordPress VIP Gold Agency Partner status: Americaneagle.com, a global digital agency and experienced WordPress developer, announced that it has earned WordPress VIP Gold Agency Partner status, WordPress VIP’s highest level of partnership status.
- WOOFF – a directory platform for WooCommerce extensions: Their goal is to be the “yellow pages” of WooCommerce extensions.
- Imajinn, the image generator genie: The Imajinn Block brings AI image generation, previously only seen on restricted platforms like DALL·E 2, right into the backend of your website so you can create stunning images for any topic with just your imagination.
- Introducing Kana – A powerful WordPress development environment: Kana is written in Go and takes inspiration from wp-env. It can be run with zero-config while maintaining the ability to allow for robust debugging.
- WP Deals Newsletter from Ben of LayerWP: It focuses on deals on WordPress products, including WordPress themes, plugins, hosting and tools.
- Ua Vandercar launched Orbital Email Newsletter: It is a micro-message newsletter with curated news, tips, and tools from around the Gravity Forms sphere delivered weekly to your inbox.
- Managed WooCommerce Stores (Preview) from GoDaddy: Managed WooCommerce Stores is a new eCommerce platform that combines today’s best in performance, functionality and scalability. The open access preview is launched only for US customers now.
- “I’m not opposed to paying people for labor or people getting paid for their labor.“: Tweet from Matt Mullenweg
🔖Interesting Reads & Podcasts
- WordCamp US 2022 – Live recap: From GoDaddy
- It’s not the code, it’s the humans: From Post Status
- What’s new in WordPress 6.1: From Kinsta
- Managed WordPress vs WooCommerce Hosting: What are the main differences?: From Torque
- Child Themes and Style Variations: From WPEngine
- HTML markup tips for developing accessible websites: From The New Stack
- Why WebP image conversion in WordPress is controversial: From The WP Minute
- World War WordPress: Communicating in a community that doesn’t like to communicate: From MasterWP
- Why WordPress mentorship should extend beyond WordCamps: From MasterWP
- How to get the best technical support for WordPress plugins: From Speckyboy
- 8 in 10 Websites leak your search terms: From Norton Labs
- The greenest programming languages: Tweet from Alex Xu
- Client & agency collaboration tool Atarim raises angel round: From The WP Minute
🛠 Guide Zone – Howto’s and More
- How to access different libraries in Divi: From Elegant Themes
- 9 Types of Mongodb Operators you need to know: From Kinsta
- Site speed tips for faster video loading: From YoastSEO
- How to write alternative text for images: From SEOPress
- Multilingual website SEO: The ultimate guide: From TranslatePress
- Core Web Vitals: Google’s top 3 metrics for evaluating user experience: From Search Engine Journal
- How are Favicon (.ico) files used in website malware?: From Sucuri
📆 Save The Dates
- 6.1 Product walk-through: The event will take place on today, September 13, 2022 at 09:30 PM GMT+5:30 via this Zoom.
- WordCamp Nederland 2022 on September 15 & 16: Save the dates.
- Inclusive Design 24 on September 22: A free 24-hour online event for the global community to celebrate inclusive design and share knowledge and ideas.
- World Interaction Design Day 2022 on September 22: It is a global celebration of interaction design’s ability to improve the human condition and the 2022 theme is Fundamentals and Perspectives.
- WooSesh on October 10-14: A live, virtual conference for WooCommerce store builders.
- Adobe MAX Creativity Conference on October 20: In-person event in Los Angeles. Attend virtually for free from 18–20 October.
- WordPress Accessibility Day on November 2-3: A free, 24-hour virtual conference focused on building accessible websites in WordPress.
- WordFest Live on November 18: This will be the fourth 24-hour WordFest Live, and the theme is Transformation.
- WordCamp Kolkata (India) on December 17-18: It will be an in-person event
- WordCamp Asia 2023 on February 17-19 at IconSiam, Bangkok Thailand: Call for speakers and media partners is out.
- WordCamp Europe 2023 on June 8-10, 2023: Call for organizers is out.
🎁 WordPress Deals Of The Week
- 3 Months free offer on hosting plans of WP Engine (Coupon Code- WPE3FREE)
- 15% off yearly plans at Videvo (Coupon Code – WPV15)
- 35% off on TaxoPress Pro
- 10% off at Divi
- Upto 75% off on plugins, themes and hosting at WP Hive
- 50% off Web Hosting Packages at StableHost (Coupon Code – 50OFFYEAR1)
- 80% off for plugins at WPPool
- 20% off at OceanWP
- Up to 74% off hosting plans at HostPapa
- Upto 50% off for Advanced Giftcards for WooCommerce plugin
- 50% off 6 months of Managed Hosting at Nexcess
- 81% off at AtlasVPN
- 20% off for Fluent Forms plugin
- 50% off at Formidable Forms
- 20% off for FluentCRM plugin
- 20% off for WP Social Ninja plugin
- 95% off for PitchGround products
- 90% off WordPress Hosting plans at InMotion Hosting
- 73% off hosting plans at SiteGround
- 60% off at Hostgator India (Coupon Code – SUNSHINE)
- 75% off VPS Monthly Plans at Liquid Web
- 50% off on Managed Dedicated Server Hosting at Liquid Web
Latest from WP-CONTENT.CO